Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Longest Day - Summer Solstice 2016

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I have been doing awesome, to God be the glory! Did you know that yesterday (Monday, June 20th) was the longest day in 2016? Known as the summer solstice, it is the longest day of 2016 for anyone living north of the equator. This year’s even includes a"strawberry moon," the first time that’s happened since 1967. So between March and September, Earth’s Northern Hemisphere gets more exposure to direct sunlight over the course of a day. The rest of the year, the Southern Hemisphere gets more. It’s the reason for the seasons. In the Northern Hemisphere, "peak" sunlight usually occurs on June 20, 21, or 22 of any given year. That’s the summer solstice. By contrast, the Southern Hemisphere reaches peak sunlight on December 21, 22, or 23 and the north hits peak darkness — that’s our winter solstice. Technically speaking, the summer solstice occurs when the sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer, or 23.5° north latitude. According to the Old Farmers’ Almanac, full moons in June were traditionally referred to as "strawberry moons" by Native Americans, because that was the month strawberries were picked. In Europe, where strawberries aren’t native, full moons in June were known as "honey moons" or "full rose moons." (Vox).
Miss World America 2016 National Finalist - Ruby B. Johnson
Although I did not commemorate the longest day in any special way, I did have a packed and adventurous day. Earlier in the day, I volunteered at the USO Warrior and Family Center for my 6 a.m. shift; afterwards I spent some hours praying, meditating, and watching the news to stay updated on current events; mid-afternoon, I went on a hike with a couple friends at Great Falls Park in Potomac, Maryland; later in the evening, I went to see "Finding Dory" with a close friend from my high school years. "Finding Nemo" has always been one of my favorite movies since it came out in 2003, and the sequel definitely was worth waiting for 13 years later; it was nice catching up with my friend and what she has been up to.
Hiking is one of my favorite things to do, and I enjoy outdoor activities and doing things in nature. Hiking at the Great Falls Park, the Maryland side, is absolutely wonderful. The sight is beautiful, and this mining engineer definitely gets excited by the big rocks.
Something new I learned yesterday was how the Alzheimer's community commemorates the summer solstice. While watching Good Day DC, there was a phone bank set up whereby viewers can call in and ask questions about this disease. I learned so much from watching this segment throughout the show. According to the Alzheimer's Association, "The Longest Day is a team event to raise funds and awareness for the Alzheimer's Association®. Held annually on the summer solstice, the duration of this sunrise-to-sunset event symbolizes the challenging journey of those living with the disease and their caregivers. Teams are encouraged to create their own experience as they fundraise and participate in an activity they love to honor someone facing the disease." (SOURCE). Hearing how much Alzheimer's affects families, friends, and caregivers really made me realize how every moment matters with our loved ones. How heartbreaking it will be if there is a time whereby my sweet grandmothers will not remember me. We must cherish the times we have now with the ones we love because we don't know what may happen tomorrow. God wants us to live life in abundance and we must be thankful for His favor in the times we get to spend with our loved ones. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10.
REMINDER - I'll be taking charge of the Mac Duggal SnapChat account Thursday, June 23rd from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m EST. I'll be answering questions viewers send in via SnapChat during my takeover; so start thinking about your questions. I'm excited about this because the SnapChat takeover is a great opportunity to take viewers into a day in my life, and allows them to get to know me better.  Make sure you follow @MacDuggal on SnapChat now and get to know the phenomenal women vying for the Miss World America title next month at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center at the National Harbor.

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment