Thursday, June 9, 2016

Mentor Leadership - Importance of Mentoring Our Youth

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I've been doing well, thanks be to God! One of the things I am looking forward to this weekend is the formals for my mentees at church. As you may know, I started serving last year in the youth ministry at my church, working with an awesome team in our students ministry. Over the past 6 months I have served as a mentor to 20 girls in the 7th and 8th grade in a program called Ladies Into Priceless Standards with my group labelled as the Nudettes; 9/10th grade are Roselles, and 11/12th grade are Rubies. The mentoring program for the boys is called Mentoring Toughness. In these months, I have formed close relationships with my Nudettes, and have the pleasure of working with 5 other mentor leaders. We the mentor leaders and our girls have grown together in our faith, as well as tackling various issues such as their academic struggles, family and friendships, health and fitness, self-esteem and body image, bullying, and etiquette. At this Saturday's formals, the girls and boys will receive their completion certificates, special awards, share their testimonies, and do a pledge presentation. I am so excited for them and look forward to honoring these awesome boys and girls who love the Lord. Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel. Proverbs 20:15.
Being a mentor is something that I used to be scared of but as God has empowered me to be in positions of leadership, it has been a great way to instill into the youth the ambition to reach their full potential and live out their purpose. Most of the decisions I have made have been guided by mentors with experience and wisdom in different works of life, so I know the importance of having a mentor. As much as I enjoy interacting with folks in person, I am aware that I am limited with how many I can reach and that is one of the reasons why I created this blog to detail ways the youth can grow in spiritual, personal, and career development with my posts. God has given me a passion for empowering young girls but also the youth as a whole, and that's why I advocate on the importance of mentoring our youth. I believe that a mentor leader is a woman or man who makes a difference in their community by sharing love and excellence, they are chosen for such a time as this to make an impact. According to The National Mentoring Partnership, 1 in 3 young people will grow up without having a mentor. It is important that communities promote mentoring in all works of life and connect the youth with mentors that will help them grow into women and men who reach for excellence and nothing less.
You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine...In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. Titus 2:1, 7-8.
God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment