Thursday, June 16, 2016

Advocating for Girls and Women in STEM - Part II

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing great, all praises to God! In previous posts, I have talked about my passion for girls and women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. In this post, I plan to share my story of why I chose this platform and my personal experiences as a woman in STEM and mining. When I was younger, I aspired to be a lawyer because I liked to debate and have an inquisitive mind. However, in 9th grade I took a technology course and my teacher discovered my technical skills and encouraged my passion for engineering and science. He is one of the mentors in my life that nurtured my passion for STEM in my youth years; he encouraged me to pursue a degree in engineering when I go to college. But I will say, prior to having this mentor, the image I always had of an engineer was a man. I recall being an 8-year-old girl in Nigeria sitting in a classroom and one of my classmates made the statement that when she grows up she'll be an engineer; I was stunned by that and thought of it to be a ridiculous ambition, because only men are engineers and only boys can have that dream. I praise God having a mentor such as my 9th grade technology teacher who noticed my talent and encouraged me to be unconventional; he got me involved with the robotics club in my high school, which blessed me with another mentor, as well as teaching me during my lunch time at school how to use the tools and machines in his workshop. 
Underground salt mine
click image to enlarge
As I recently announced, I am a national finalist for Miss World America 2016 (#MWA2016) and will be competing for the title next month at the National Harbor in Maryland. My Beauty with a Purpose project is "Mentor Leadership: Importance of Mentoring Our Youth." My goals with this BWAP project include: (1) encourage today's youth to reach their full potential and live a purposeful life; (2) inspire the youth to make wise decisions in school, family, and friendships; (3) ignite or increase the interest of girls in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields; (4) and encourage the youth to grow into the women and men of character and integrity that God created them to be.
In this post, I will talk about the tough times as a woman in STEM. There are times I struggled in my mining classes and/or work experiences and I truly do want to give up, but I actually use the negative I get from folks that say "girls/women cannot excel in STEM courses and/or professional fields" to keep me going. This is not something that is easy to do, but that motivation really keeps me going sometimes. With our flesh, when we don't excel as we would like in something, we want to give up. Therefore, being discouraged in my classes/jobs has nothing to do with me being a woman in a STEM field, but simply because I am having a tough time comprehending or achieving the goal I want. Besides with my family or close friends, it is rather unfortunate that there have been times I just want to complain about struggling with my academic or professional life, but feel afraid that others may conclude it as a weakness, because I am a woman in STEM. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.
click image to enlarge
I had many tough semesters in college, and my senior year was one of the most difficult for me academically. It felt like everything got more difficult, and there were lesser hours in the day. Besides the academic struggles that final year, I dealt with the end of a long-term relationship as well as death of a friend. I cried to my mom and friends, telling them of how stressed I am, and how ironic it was that I advocate for STEM but I was overwhelmed with my own work. I'll be on the phone talking to my mom/brother/dad/grandmother telling them of how tired I was and they always encouraged me to keep persevering, as well as pray for me. I am blessed to have a wonderful support system that is there for me at my trying times and grateful for their continuous love and support. I have good days and I have bad days, but I know for sure that I am where I need to be in life! Life's obstacles may come our way, but God always prevails. His grace is sufficient. Regardless of how crazy life gets for me, these three things will forever remain true: I love MINING! I love being a WOMAN! I love STEM! I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13. Read Part III.
MINING ROCKS
God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment