Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Advocating for Girls and Women in STEM - Part I

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing well, thanks be to God! In previous posts, I have talked about my passion for girls and women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. In this post, I plan to share my story of why I chose this platform and my personal experiences as a woman in STEM and mining. When I was younger, I aspired to be a lawyer because I liked to debate and have an inquisitive mind. However, in 9th grade I took a technology course and my teacher discovered my technical skills and encouraged my passion for engineering and science. He is one of the mentors in my life that nurtured my passion for STEM in my youth years; he encouraged me to pursue a degree in engineering when I go to college. But I will say, prior to having this mentor, the image I always had of an engineer was a man. I recall being an 8-year-old girl in Nigeria sitting in a classroom and one of my classmates made the statement that when she grows up she'll be an engineer; I was stunned by that and thought of it to be a ridiculous ambition, because only men are engineers and only boys can have that dream. I praise God having a mentor such as my 9th grade technology teacher who noticed my talent and encouraged me to be unconventional; he got me involved with the robotics club in my high school, which blessed me with another mentor, as well as teaching me during my lunch time at school how to use the tools and machines in his workshop.
Miss World America 2016 National Finalist - Ruby B. Johnson
click image to enlarge
As I recently announced, I am a national finalist for Miss World America 2016 (#MWA2016) and will be competing for the title next month at the National Harbor in Maryland. My Beauty with a Purpose project is "Mentor Leadership: Importance of Mentoring Our Youth." My goals with this BWAP project include: (1) encourage today's youth to reach their full potential and live a purposeful life; (2) inspire the youth to make wise decisions in school, family, and friendships; (3) ignite or increase the interest of girls in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields; (4) and encourage the youth to grow into the women and men of character and integrity that God created them to be.
Miss World America 2016 National Finalist - Ruby B. Johnson
click image to enlarge
In my university and work experiences, I have dealt with being the only woman, only Black, and sometimes the only Black woman in a room. I have so many "firsts" in my mining courses and work experiences because of being woman and Black, but this is something I am partly proud of. Yes, I am proud that I have stepped into uncharted territories but there's also the part of me that eagerly waits for more people like myself to occupy that space and join me. Additionally, I am sometimes viewed as rare because I am a titleholder (or "beauty queen" - a word I don't like to use) but I am in a field that is anything but girly; this confuses some people. I love it! In my opinion a woman should not always follow a particular path and she can wear many different hats, and that's why my passions do not intersect. I love that I can trade my crown for my hard hat, my stilettos for my steel-toe boots, and my sash for my reflector vest or harness. Because of my intersectionality, I had opportunities to talk about this, even gave a lecture to the advisory board of the Mining and Minerals Engineering department at my school (Virginia Tech), when I was in college; it was great!
click image to enlarge
In the past as a titleholder, I have shared a lot of my adventures while wearing the sash and crown, and I absolutely enjoy that. However, I make it a priority of mine to share some of my personal life as well as a mining engineer student/professional. This is important to me because I believe that verbally advocating for my platform is not enough, it is necessary for girls/women worldwide to see me doing what I do and what I am passionate about: mining. Over the past years, I have also had the opportunity to speak with girls in their classrooms, events, workshops, etc. in the United States and Sierra Leone encouraging them to pursue a career in STEM, as well as talking about my personal experiences in mining; one of my favorite things to do in life. During the time I worked in Kono District, Sierra Leone in 2013 for a kimberlite (diamond-bearing rock) mine, I did my very best in making my presence in the city of Koidu and nearby cities, as well as on social media known. This was very important to me because as a Sierra Leonean American woman, I wanted Sierra Leonean girls to see someone that looks like them doing something unconventional and know that they can aspire to be whoever they want, even if it is a job that women lack visibility in (such as STEM fields). I even made sure to record and upload a video online of me during my first time working with the blasting team and igniting a blast. I recall when some of the workers at the mine would continuously stare at me in shock because they see a girl working in the quarry, and I would talk with them and tell them that when they return home after work to encourage their sisters/cousins/daughters/wives to do the same thing I am doing. Because I am them. Stay tuned for Part II.
Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. 3 John 1:11

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment