Thursday, June 9, 2016

Passion for Service

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing well, thanks be to God! As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am very passionate about service. So I thought I should give some background story on why and how, to explain the what; there have been so many things that have influenced and encouraged this passion which means if I tried to give every detail, this post would be ridiculously long and I don't want to write a novel, so I'll just point out a few things. Family has been one of the influences for my passion for service, I've been blessed to grow up in a family that always gave back. For example: I grew up with two grandmothers that loved to feed everyone and pour into those that they are not even related to; I received the blessings of kind grandfathers who took care of not only their own but the children of others; I have a father who just loves unconditionally, and a mother always full of smiles and oh so generous; I am also blessed with extended family members who love and serve in so many admirable ways that it is impossible for that not to rub off on you. Therefore my advice to parent, guardians, mentors, and leaders is: be careful of how you live your life now because whether you know or not, those around you are watching, especially the young ones, even when you think they are not being attentive. Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it...The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor. Proverbs 22:6, 9.
My Family
L-R: Uncle, Aunt, Dad, Me, Paternal Grandma, Mom, and Brother
As a student in the African Immigrant and Refugee Foundation's Catching Up Program in high school, we were provided with several volunteer opportunities in the community; I was blessed to have mentors in this program who advocated for service. Although I grew up a little girl that did good in whatever environment I was in, I'd say the first time I consciously decided to be a volunteer was when I was in high school. As a student in Montgomery County schools in Maryland, students are required to have a certain number of service learning hours prior to graduating in 12th grade. I was fortunate to stumble upon an opportunity to volunteer at a summer camp working with children with autism; at that time, I didn't know anything about autism and really what I was getting myself into. However, this opportunity turned out to be a blessing and learning experience for me which has now led me to make autism awareness one of my passions for life. Today, you'll find me sharing information about the spectrum, as well as volunteering for autism awareness events. Interestingly, because of my long-term commitment to this camp for more than one summer, I ended up graduating high school with more than the number of hours I was required to have.
Baltimore's 2015 Walk Now for Autism Speaks
Whenever folks ask me why I chose to go to Virginia Tech for my college education, with no hesitation I always say because of engineering, and of course I ended up leaving with a degree in mining engineering. However, one of the other things this awesome university and community imparted in me is dedication to service. From orientation, Hokies are taught about the importance of service and it is reiterated that our motto is "Ut Prosim" in Latin, which means "That I May Serve." Throughout my time in college, I saw how much the Virginia Tech community lived by that motto and had many ways to engage the students, faculty, and staff, as well as the Blacksburg community in serving those near and far. Besides the philanthropic work done by various organizations in the university, Virginia Tech had several service projects for everyone such as Big Event and Relay for Life. Big Event is a day-long annual Virginia Tech event whereby students were assigned to homes and areas in the Blacksburg/New River Valley/Radford area to clean and help local residents. In the past, me and my groups received assignments such as raking leaves, spreading mulch, painting, mowing laws, picking out weeds, and cleaning windows.
College Republicans volunteering for the Big Event
When many people ask me why I decided to get into pageantry, I always tell them that service was my motivation. With organizations such as the Miss World Organization who promotes their cause "Beauty with a Purpose," it is very evident that they champion women who faithfully serve their community and country. Prior to competing, I saw how much queens faithfully served during and after their time of service and that inspired me; women such as Miss World 1994 Aishwarya Rai, Miss Arkansas 2011 Kristen Glover, Miss Universe 1999 Mpule Kwelagobe, and Miss America 2011 Teresa Scanlan. To wear a crown and sash brings attention to the titleholder, and there is so much good that woman can do with the attention and use it for a good cause. My personal platform as Miss Sierra Leone USA 2012-2014 was Advocating for SHERO and S is for service; H for health, E for education, R for rights, and O for opportunities. Serving others as a titleholder was continued as I served as Miss Earth Maryland in 2015. During my times of service with these titles and even just as Ruby, I have volunteered for several organizations and events in many states such as: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes, National Day of Service, So Others Might Eat, USO Warrior and Family Center, Special Olympics Maryland, GreenWheaton, Mandela Day of Service, Green Festivals (Montgomery County, Howard County, District of Columbia), Outspoken, and many more.
2012 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Greenville, South Carolina
Cleaning SOME Homeless Shelter on Mandela Day of Service
2015 Montgomery County (Maryland) GreenFest
Like I said, I started actively volunteering to get hours when I was in high school but now I do it because it is my passion. As Christians, our Father in Heaven blessed us with generous hearts and we are people who were created to love and serve everyone. Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers and sisters, even though they are strangers to you. They have told the church about your love. Please send them on their way in a manner that honors God. It was for the sake of the Name that they went out, receiving no help from the pagans. We ought therefore to show hospitality to such people so that we may work together for the truth. 3 John 5:8.
So Others Might Eat
God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment