Monday, February 29, 2016

Halfway into 40-Day Lenten Season Fast - Part Two

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ,

I pray you and yours are doing well. I'm doing well, thanks be to God! So today marks the 20th day in my fast during the Lenten season, that means I've completed half the journey. Another awesome thing about today is that it is February 29th, a day that we only observe in a leap year (every 4 years). Over the past 20 days, I have learned and experienced a lot and I am thankful to God for all the blessings and lessons. So here's what has been happening during the 20-day mark, I have broken them down into 2 blog posts sharing 3 lessons/actions each.

Dedicating More Time in Ministry
Matthew 6:33 states But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. During this time of fasting, the top revelation the Lord has made to me is serving him. God has repeatedly been telling me that He will answer my prayers and reward me in things I seek from Him but first I must completely submit to His authority and be dedicated in serving Him privately as well as in my youth ministry. He keeps telling me directly and through prophecies from others that during my time of serving Him is when He will reward me for the things I am desiring from Him, during a time I am not even in expectation. Last week, I started reading "Supporting Diligently in Christian Ministry" by Rev. Dr. Folashade Toyin-Kehinde, First Lady of my dad's Church in Nigeria (Agape Generation International Church). As I have mentioned before I serve as a leader in my Church's youth ministry. This month we started our annual mentoring program and I am one of the mentors for our Ladies Into Priceless Standards (LIPS) program for our youth girls; I am the lead mentor for the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade girls. Being part of this program has been truly rewarding and I enjoy getting to know my girls, having fellowship, as well as being part of the lives of these amazing girls as they grow in faith and faithfulness. I am also blessed to work alongside with four sisters in Christ that are part of my leadership team. To God be the glory. Additionally, I was recently selected to serve as the Events Coordinator in the Youth Ministry, and I am blessed for this opportunity God has presented me to continue to give Him glory and plan events for the purpose of discipleship and evangelism.

Engaging in Acts of Kindness
In the body of Christ, we receive numerous messages on the importance of tithes and offerings. Yes, they are important as followers of Christ, however, we must be reminded that acts of kindness towards others is another way we can give for the glory of God. The Lord has been igniting this fire in me to actively engage in acts of kindness more than ever in small and big ways. These acts of kindness include giving time and attention to others by listening to their stories and sharing words of encouragement, and continue to be an intercessor for others in my prayer life. I have been engaging in the practice of being quick to listen and slow to speak. Additional ways I have been engaging in acts of kindness is giving rides to those that need it, regardless of how far the distance may be or the level of gas in my tank without asking for compensation. As a result of the fact that the Lord provides for me financially, even though I live on a tight budget, the Lord has been putting in my heart how much to give others as love offerings, some have been more than I anticipated but I have been obedient to what God wants me to do; the Lord has also been instructing me to treat others in the form of feeding others, either by buying something for them to eat, as well as continuing what I have been doing by serving meals to the homeless. May we never forget that We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (Romans 12:6-8).
Joy and Rest
During this time of fasting, the words that the Lord has been putting in my heart are joy and rest; these words have also been prophesied to me through others as well. From sermons in Church to my daily devotional, the word joy has been a constant. During this time of fasting, I have been declaring joy in my life and proclaiming that the devil will not steal my joy. I will be honest and tell you that there have been times I'd make these proclamations but not completely believe it but I have also seen that by declaring with my mouth, the Lord has worked on my heart. What I find to be interesting during this 20-day period, I have experienced moments where the devil has worked hard on stealing my joy and having thoughts/emotions that I know are not from God. In the midst of receiving answers from God from praying fervently, some of the responses have been what I did not expect and the enemy has made attempts to tamper with my joy, but the Lord has been faithful. Let us not forget that it says in James 1:2-4 that Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Another recurring word the Lord has been putting in my heart and through friends is rest. With this word, I have had lengthy conversations with one of my brothers in Christ about how much God wants us to rest. Yes, I know I have previously blogged on this topic but I think I am finally getting to understand the depth of it. During this time of chaos, the Lord desires rest for me. For me, I find rest in sitting or laying on grass and staring at the sky, listening to music, watching a movie, reading, taking a long walk, journaling, and even just laying in bed.


God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.



Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment