Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Why I Am Fasting This Lenten Season

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ,

I hope you and yours are doing well. I have been blessed and highly favored, to God be the glory. This Lenten season, I plan to observe it and be fully committed. In the past, I have given up something or just read a Bible plan for the 40-day period, but I was not fully committed. This year, as my personal goal to grow in faith and faithfulness, I will be dry (no fluids) fasting February 10 through March 24; I will be fasting for 12 hours, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. I completed day one yesterday successfully, to God be the glory. One of my resolutions for 2016 is to fast at least twice every month, and I started the new year very well by fasting for 7 days in the month of January. I have seen how powerful fasting is in my life, so I look forward to this 40 days of dedication. With all the things the world throws at us, it is important that we all go into our wildernesses after a while and just refocus and renew our minds. As it says in Matthew 4:1-2, Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
During this time of fasting, there will be temptations but as the scripture above says, even Jesus was tempted. As one continues to read Matthew 4 through verse 11, Jesus was tempted three times by the devil but he did not fall into temptation. Therefore, I know I will endure the tests and how great is to know that greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. As Philippians 4:13 says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me; because I know Christ strengthens me and the Holy Spirit dwells in me, I will make it. My main purpose of observing lent is to grow closer to God and work on my relationship with Christ. It is about God's glory and seeking His Kingdom. Also, I started reading and meditating on a lent devotional in the Bible app which I plan to complete this time around. Additionally, I am trusting God for several things which I have detailed in my prayer journal and will be praying fervently on everyday. As it says in the gospel of Mark 11:24, Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
If you are wondering how fasting days look like, here is how it usually goes: since my fasts usually start at 6 a.m., I eat well before that time. This sometimes means that I eat a meal (sandwich, fruits, or oatmeal) around 4 a.m., because it is healthy to have something in our stomachs when planning on being active during the day and dry fasting. Throughout the day, I pray a lot, as well as listen and sing praise/worship songs. Before breaking my fast at 6 p.m., I make sure to read and meditate on a scripture in the Bible, and pray on whatever I am trusting God for, for whatever amount of time I can. Before eating anything solid, I'll have a cup of tea, maybe a fruit and then a solid meal such as rice. For my first day of fasting yesterday, I drank a cup of tea, had a banana and then a delicious homemade salad with chicken wings. I pray that you are fasting or consider fasting this Lenten season, or make it a priority to start fasting. Fasting is a relevant time for every believer. I can attest to the fact that every time I have fasted, God has answered me immediately in direct and indirect ways. Do not miss out on this important way of communing with our Almighty God. If you have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, I recommend that your prayers are done in the Spirit while fasting during the day. As Apostle Paul says in Ephesians 6:18, And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.


God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.



Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment