Friday, March 25, 2016

Maryland Day 2016

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ,

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing great, thanks be to God! Today, March 25th commemorates Maryland Day. The state of Maryland was my first home state in the United States, when I came to this country in 2003 from Sierra Leone. Maryland Day began its official observance in 1903, the date chosen by the State's Board of Education to honor Maryland history and to increase the teaching of state and local histories in the public schools. In 1916, the General Assembly (state legislature) authorized "Maryland Day" as a legal holiday. Maryland is home to the writer of our national anthem, lawyer Francis Scott Key. The Blue Crab State is a prominent producer and processor of seafood and a national leader in the production of blue crabs and soft clams. This state will always have a special place in my heart no matter where I go and I am grateful for the many educational and social opportunities it has given me, as well as proudly wearing its name across my chest on the national stage. I love you, Maryland!
Maryland is the state of my home church, Bethel World Outreach Church in the city of Olney. In this state, I received my middle and high school education. Although I received my college education from Virginia, worked in South Carolina, been in other states, I have always considered Maryland to be my home state. In this state, I competed in my first pageant and won as Miss Sierra Leone USA in 2012, competed in Miss Maryland World 2015, and became Miss Earth Maryland 2015. My desire to be a titleholder for this state is because I wanted to give back to my community and state. As a born Sierra Leonean woman, I served my nation of birth (Sierra Leone) here in the United States as well as in Sierra Leone, and saw it necessary to do the same for Maryland. As Miss Earth Maryland, I traveled across my state learning about its beauty and uniqueness, as well as doing community service in various ways. In the past, folks have always questioned my involvement in pageantry and I have always made reference to Queen Esther in the Bible, a woman of God that used her beauty and charm to save her people and live out her God-given purpose. She acknowledges where she comes from and where she wants to go, with efforts to do good and what is honorable in the sight of God. As Modecai says in Esther 4:14, For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment