Monday, March 7, 2016

Christians Must Care About Politics and Politicians

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ,

I pray you and yours are doing well. I have been blessed and highly favored, and just so grateful for all this that comes from my Father in Heaven. Last week, I attended the Conservative Political Action Conference, a 4-day event. Although I have attended this conference in the past, I decided to serve as a volunteer in the 2016 edition of CPAC. Attending this annual conference is always a great opportunity to talk about the issues and policies in our country, as well meet those elected in office; from CPAC 2014, I had the opportunity to meet 2016 U.S. Presidential Candidates Dr. Ben Carson, Mrs. Carly Fiorina, Governors Mike Huckabee and Rick Perry, and Sen. Rick Santorum. This year, I connected with familiar folks from the past; made new friends; networked with republicans, libertarians, and independents from across the country and conservatives from abroad; finally met my favorite woman (Congresswoman Mia Love) in American politics right now; got to watch the 2016 U.S. Presidential candidates (Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, and Governor John Kasich) speak live; appeared on Fox News Channel; and so much more.
Congresswoman Mia Love of Utah in U.S. House of Representatives
Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee
From a young age, I have always taken interest in politics. As I got older, I grew to understand the relevance of paying attention to politics and knowing those who are in public office. Now that I am older, my experiences and education level gives me a better understanding of the policies and issues affecting my countries, USA and Sierra Leone. In society, I find it unfortunate that some folks believe that politics is something of interest for those in the older generation; however, I believe that the younger generation must be knowledgeable and involved as well. Be reminded of what it says in 1 Timothy 4:12, Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. From the moment I reached the voting age, I have been a staunch advocate of citizens being knowledgeable about the issues, where elected officials stand on the issues, and the importance of voting; I have voted in person for all but one election, and used the absentee ballot voting option when I worked outside of my residence state in 2012. When I was in college, I was involved in organizations with political agenda, such as College Republicans and Womanspace, educating myself and other students on the issues and also attended political conferences and events. I have also served as an election judge for the Board of Elections in my county (Montgomery County) during the primary and general elections in previous years. I have also been vocal about my ambition of being a future governor of my home state, Maryland.
Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina
Appearing on the "Hannity" Show with Sean Hannity of Fox News Channel
Can you spot me?!
Dr. Ben Carson's sons, Ben Jr. and Murray
It is commonly said that the two things folks must never speak publicly about are religion and politics, because those are topics that can be divisive. I disagree. I am outspoken about my faith and where I lean on in the political spectrum. I do not walk around with a sign on my chest saying "Hi, my name is Ruby and I'm a christian and republican, and so should you!" However, my words and actions relay the messages that I am a woman who loves the Lord, and wants communities in our nation to be socially- and fiscally-conservative. I will say that it has not always been this way; at a younger age, I was firm on my stands and did not compromise my faith and politics, but upon going to college, I compromised my faith and values certain times for the sake of political correctness and desire to not make others feel uncomfortable. But in my early 20s, I have come to realize that I do not need to compromise my faith and values for the comfort of others but to live a life that is honorable in the sight of God. Besides boldly labeling ourselves in the political spectrum, I believe what is more important is being educated on the issues and knowing our public officials, especially those that directly relate to our affairs such as those in the senate, house of representatives, county officials, mayors, governors, etc. We must not vote and elect men and women in public office based on others, what's popular, or feel obligated to any political party. For me, I vote on things that are personal to me such as my christian values and my career as a mining engineer. One can care about politics and be a christian; those we elect in office matter. Just as we consult God on the daily things in our lives, we must do the same with politics. Let us be reminded of what it says in Hosea 8:4, They set up kings without my consent; they choose princes without my approval. With their silver and gold they make idols for themselves to their own destruction.
Former Virginia Governor and 2016 U.S. Presidential Candidate Jim Gilmore
Future Governor of Maryland?
It reads in 1 Timothy 2:1-4, I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. With this being an election year, I urge everyone to pray fervently for God to give us discernment on who to vote for. Rather than throwing insults towards other voters with opposing views and who they support, we must pray for them and our current/future leaders. The decisions made by those in public office affect us in many ways and could be in alignment with our values or against our values, therefore we must care about who represents us in the local, state, and federal government. We must pray that the Lord gives our leaders wisdom and revelation on the issues, and that they stand firm in values that glorify God.


God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


For more on voter registration and election information, visit Champion the Vote.


Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment