Monday, March 7, 2016

International Women's Day 2016

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ,

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing wonderful, thanks be to God! Today, March 8th, marks International Women's Day. In the United States, Australia, and United Kingdom, the month of March is recognized as Women's History Month. The theme for this year's WHM is "Working to Form a More Perfect Union: Honoring Women in Public Service and Government." The theme for International Women's Day is "Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality." As a Sierra Leone-born American woman, I celebrate the diversity in culture, language, and values of my two nations. In November 2010, I founded an organization called When You Believe Foundation, Inc. The mission of When You Believe Foundation, Inc. is to do outreach, raise awareness, provide assistance, enhance the lifestyle, promote self-sufficiency, and empower girls and women in our communities. In addition to receiving my bachelor of science in mining engineering at Virginia Tech, my minor in college was women's studies leadership.
Being created a woman is a blessing, and I have always been passionate about the empowerment of girls and women. As I have mentioned in previous posts, one of my top priorities of getting involved in pageantry was to use my crowns/titles to serve with pride and purpose, and to celebrate being a woman of Sierra Leonean heritage and American upbringing. As Miss Earth Maryland 2015, I used my title to enlighten middle and high school students in my state about the mining industry, and create a dialogue about the environment and mining. As a titleholder, I may be judged by my looks and not intellect and it is not my duty to prove to the world that I am smart because I know who I am and whose I am; however, I used my time of service as Miss Earth Maryland to show that a woman can be beautiful, smart, and be in a predominantly-male field of work. As Miss Sierra Leone USA, my personal platform was and is still advocating for the recruitment and retention of girls and women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields. As a titleholder, I saw Queen Esther as an example of a woman who used her beauty and charm to make a difference, And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this? (Esther 4:14).
I identify as a feminist because I believe that a woman should have opportunities to do what she wants. Her goal should not be to outperform men but to do her best in whatever her task may be; she is her competition to be better. The work of women and men must compliment each other. Additionally, girls and women must work together in solidarity and empower each other. My decision to become a mining engineer was not because I had a woman role model in this career and I wanted to be like her, but I like that I can be an example for a young girl out there showing her that if she wants to be a mining engineer, it is possible. A woman's place can be the home, office, mine, hospital, House and senate, court, church, etc. Women who are housewives/homemakers must be equally respected as women who work in the public sphere. Women must find empowerment in who they are in Christ, abound in God's love for her, remember they are precious and honored in God's sight, and find strength in our Lord Jesus Christ.  Women of God must remember that She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. (Proverbs 31:25-31).

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment