Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Godly Lessons - We Don't Know It All

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing great, thanks to my awesome God! Yesterday evening, I came across a Facebook status posted by my first high school crush and decided to click on his photo to check out his page and see what he's been up to. I haven't seen him since we graduated high school 8 years ago. Seeing his photos just reminded me of how much I was infatuated with this guy, but my high school self probably would have described it as "love." Obviously my feelings towards him ended before we even graduated high school but I was reminded of how these feelings changed - I stopped liking him when I found out he liked me too. I know it's silly (and funny in some way) but true. In 9th and early parts of 10th grade, I had the biggest crush on this guy; I don't think I've ever had a crush like him before or after. Fast forward to 10th grade, I found out he liked me too. I was happy about finding this out - for a day - then my feelings for him disappeared. I realized that what I actually liked was the idea of liking him and having a crush on him but didn't really want to have any type of relationship with him.
Now as an adult, I have realized that this mentality has stuck with me in some way regarding men. There are men I have been impressed with in one way or another but haven't really considered them as partners in life and marriage material for me. In my adult years, I have gotten to know and/or been in a relationship with guys who are great in their own way but still lack something. But I will have to admit that this is only recognized afterwards. In the moment of knowing a particular guy, he may seem great and lack certain things but I usually think his lacks are not that relevant. However, I come to realize later that those factors are not irrelevant and matter when it comes moving to the next level of marriage. Even with respect to pageantry, I look back today and I thank God that there were certain pageants I did not win. As a result of finding out down the line that I do not share the values of the management or find some of the organizers unethical and could not see myself representing and promoting their organization. With regards to my career, I have come to realize that there were some mining jobs I had seen as perfect and sad when I did not get the offer but later realized that I would have been miserable in the position.
So why am I sharing all of this? To show examples of how without God, we would fail miserably in life. God is omniscient - He knows everything. God is sovereign - He knows the start and end of everything. Today we may think someone is the best for us and is a perfect husband or wife but as we get to know them in different seasons of our lives and theirs, we realize how wrong we are. We come to realize that: our purpose, values, or ambitions do not match or compliment each other. What I shared in the previous paragraphs just makes me so thankful that I have God leading me in my decisions regarding career, courting, friendships, ministry, etc. I look back today and realize that the things I thought were best for me years back, are not now. Some things in past relationships I thought I would be able to tolerate, I realize would have led me to compromise my values and/or faith. This is why today I have no regret for anything or anyone no longer in my life. Of course every end of friendship or relationship has come with a moment of sadness, but I realize that these were all part of God's plan to get me away from something I did not need to be part of. If it was dependent on me, I would have tried to make it work even if my spirit was telling me to get out of it, because fixing things is part of my character. This is why it is so important to trust and rely on God, no matter how difficult it is to see the purpose of an occurrence or finish line of a desire. As God says in Isaiah 43:19, See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
As a woman who knows that God has great plans for her, I remain encouraged about what my future holds. I have come to acceptance that I don't know it all (even though it took me 23 years to know this). God knows best. Even when it comes to my emotions, I am constantly asking God what He thinks about it and if it aligns with what my spirit man is telling me. I stay encouraged from the testimonies of folks who completely came to a place of surrender and allowed God to have His way in their life and decisions. Also, I have learned to stay true to my values and never compromise myself in any way. For example, I have a husband list and in this list I have things that are non-negotiable regarding the man's character. For some time, I debated whether I should be a little lenient with these things but as God continues to reveal to me who I am and whose I am, I am more confident in retaining these things on my list. These are things I know God desires for His princess and He put them in my heart, so I know that God has created that man who embodies all those characteristics. As it says in Habakkuk 2:3, For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment