Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Godly Lessons - Overcoming Fear

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing awesome, thanks to my Father in Heaven. Yesterday evening I went hiking and had a great time. Although it has been ridiculously hot lately, I'm happy that I could get out and enjoy mother nature during the time the sun was about to set in the day. Staying hydrated was key during this hike. This hike was memorable because I did something I have never done before - I climbed a rock! Hiking is not new to me and neither is rock climbing but these two have never been combined; I have hiked mountains/trails by walking and running, and my rock climbing experience is usually indoors, attached to a rope and/or having the comfort of a recreational mat at the bottom of the rock.
Today was not my first time hiking at this site but taking this path was a first. Previously, we took the walking path on the route but today my friend suggested we actually climb the rock on that path because there was a lot of human traffic on the walking route and that could have slowed us down. Taking this new route on the rock meant that we had to use our hands and feet to get to the top. Of course my friend quickly climbed and got to the top before me, and then he encouraged I climb as well. I was terrified! At this moment, my mind was racing with so many thoughts - my fear of heights, the slipperiness of the rock, breaking some part of my body from falling off a 60+ feet rock, my lack of swimming skills, and of course falling down into the Potomac river. Basically, I was overwhelmed with fear. Being the adventurous person I am, I was up for the challenge but as I clinched on to the rock with my fingers and placed my feet on it, I started to feel unqualified to overcome this challenge. Being that my friend had reached to the top, he was coaching me through the climbing process but I had doubts about continuing and came close to crying a few times. Funnily, I rarely break a sweat but after conquering that rock, my friend pointed out that I was sweating profusely, which was a first for him to see; just goes to show that I was terrified! I was also teased for being a mining engineer who deals with rocks but afraid of climbing a rock.
This rock climbing experience I share shows how sometimes God puts us in situations that terrify us and is asking us to just trust Him because He will see us through. God being sovereign already knows the outcome of every situation in our life. Like it says in Romans 11:33, God knows all things past, present, and future. There is no limit to His knowledge, for God knows everything completely before it even happens. In this situation, my friend being at the top of the mountain had a great view and could coach me on how to climb to the top. Being at the top, he could see where I can put my hands and feet when climbing. He had gotten to the top, so he knew that it could be done. This is how God works. God has already written our life story. He knows what we can accomplish. We may see ourselves as unqualified, but just like how my friend believed in me and he continuously encouraged me to not give up climbing that rock, that is how God sees us as qualified for a task. While I was freaking out and my friend was giving me guidelines about climbing the rock, another hiker who was at the top made the statement that my only obstacle now is fear. As Christians we are fully equipped to perform a task but we become overwhelmed with fear and sell ourselves short. Like it says in 2 Timothy 1:7, For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. Therefore, we have no reason to be fearful but approach obstacles from a position of victory.

One of the remarkable things about this experience is that my friend believed in me more than I believed in myself. He continually encouraged me to keep going and not turn back; he had faith in me that I could climb to the top of that rock. It's amazing that sometimes we have folks who believe in us more than we believe in ourselves. This goes back to how we may see ourselves as unqualified for a task but God fully believes in us and knows that we can excel in that task. We must have faith in God because He has faith in us. His strength keeps us going when we are weak and feel unfit. Like it says in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
After I climbed that rock and got to the top of that mountain, I was so elated! That moment became the highlight of my day and I skipped through the rest of the hike. Being the type of person that loves to be challenged, I definitely saw this as one for the books. Once again, God teaches me a lesson in an unconventional way - the lesson of trust. Relying on my friend's guidance as I climbed that rock showed that I trusted him - I trusted his judgment. In this same way, I learn that I have to trust God at all times. I am not omniscient like He is and do not need to be in control at all times. Being the type of person that likes to be in control in situations of my life, I struggle with trust and letting go. But as I grow in faith, I come to acknowledge that the reason why I like being in control is because of my fear of outcomes or what the future holds. God says Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9. Knowing this, I pray that I am constantly reminded that God is in control, therefore I have no reason to live in fear. How great it is to know that we serve a good, good Father who has overcome fear for us and is with us at all times. God has equipped us for every endeavor we embark on. As He says in Isaiah 41;10, Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

2 comments: