Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Am I Even A Proverbs 31 Woman?

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I have been doing well, all thanks to my Father in Heaven. About a week ago, while in thought of the qualities I'd love my future husband to have, if marriage is God's will for my life. I had a moment whereby I asked myself: am I even a Proverbs 31 woman? I think as single women, we become too focused on what we want a husband to be to us rather than who we are to him; married women may relate to this as well. For many Christian women, we aspire and speak of the desire to be a Proverbs 31 woman. However, this was the first time I actually went back to the Scriptures to analyze each and every verse and did self-analysis. In that moment, I put aside all the desires of what I'd want in a life partner and realized the relevance of work that has to be done in my life right now. Being that I wanted to reflect on the current season of my life, my analysis is based on my life as a single woman who is a Christian, daughter, sister, aunt, godmother, friend, mentee, and co-worker. My reflection was on who and how I am to others in my areas of influence. How I can be better, be a reflection of Jesus Christ, as well as be a woman of character and integrity. As you read this, may you prayerfully reflect on every verse and search your heart with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
10 An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
Do I carry myself with integrity and character? What kind of clothes do I wear? How do I carry myself?

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
Am I trustworthy? Do I stick to my word? Am I reliable?

12 She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.
Am I encouraging? Are my words life-giving? Do I edify others even when they don't do the same for me? Am I vindictive? Am I spiteful?

13 She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands.
Am I ambitious?

14 She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. 15 She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. 16 She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
Am I hardworking? Am I selfless? Am I creative in my ways of doing things? Am I willing to serve others? Am I willing to put my pride away regardless of what situation I'm in (physically, financially, emotionally)? Am I financially-responsible?

17 She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.
Do I continue to push through in the midst of suffering and hardships? Do I devote myself fully to the work at hand? Do I have good work ethics?

18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. 19 She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.
Am I entrepreneurial? Am I capable of making smart decisions now and in the future? Do I make wise choices/decisions?

20 She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.
Am I kind? Am I giving to those in need? Do I give others grace?

21 She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
Am I caring? Do I pray for others? Do I go to God on behalf of others?

22 She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Do I take good care of health? Do I take health and fitness seriously? Do I carry myself like royalty? Do I carry myself like the daughter of the one true King?

23 Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land.
Am I surrounded by people who are wise? Do I associate with people of character and integrity? Do I seek godly counsel?

24 She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.
Can I commit to doing better?

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
Am I mentally- and emotionally- healthy? Do I have good/healthy self-esteem? Do I have a sense of humor? Do I stress about the things I shouldn't? Do I rationalize situations or become emotional? Do my emotions blur my judgment?

26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. 27 She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Do I speak with wisdom? Do my words have meaning? Are my words life-changing? Are my words relevant? Does my speech reflect wisdom, knowledge, and understanding? Do I stay away from gossip? Do I take care of my responsibilities?

28 Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
Do people speak well of me? Am I respected by others who know me? Do I have a good reputation with people who are integrous?

29 “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”
Do I carry myself in elegance? Do I reach for excellence and nothing less?

30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Am I dependent on my appearance to attain things and be acknowledged by people? Am I relying on my looks and position in order to acquire things or be liked by people? Is my fear of the Lord above all other things? Do people know me for my faith and love for God?

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
What do I want my legacy on earth to be? What do I want to be remembered for?

I pray these questions I am prayerfully reflecting on and trusting God to work on me will be of help to you as well. My prayer for you and me is that we grow and become the woman God created us to be in our areas of influence (single or married, young or old, leader or follower). May we dig deep into this Scripture and trust God to transform us and renew our minds continually to be salt and light on earth in our homes and communities.

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment