Friday, September 15, 2017

Ruby Mountain Relay 2017

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing well, thanks be to God. On August 4-5, I participated in the Ruby Mountain Relay. I had such a good time running with my team - Run, Forest, Run. Best team I could've ever asked for, especially this being my first Relay ever! Being that our team split into 2 vans, leap-frogging each other, and I had to be in a van with 5 other people for 30 hours straight, a lot of bonding was done. Everyone was so encouraging to each other and I had a blast! Not many folks get to take part in a relay that they share a name with and it gets to be my first, and it's even better when you're surrounded by an amazing folks! Team RFR, thanks for the laughs, giving me water during half way points while I ran my 3 legs, and cheering for me when I took on some crazy uphill! My team was jealous that I could fall asleep so easily in the van and on the grasses during our rest times - but someone had to sleep for us. Haha. I had a great time, and I do see more relays in my future.
If there was an award such as "first to fall asleep in weird places" given at the end of the Ruby Mountain Relay, I'd have easily won it for my team that weekend. Running miles in these Nevada uphills with 7000+ feet elevations wore me out that after every van exchange, I was ready to pass out and prepare for my next leg every 10 hours. All this running had me exhausted that sleeping on comfortable and uncomfortable grasses, as well as the van felt like my bed! A lek mi yay.
Running my first leg. Didn't enjoy this one at all due to the ridiculous uphills I battled in Spring Creek, but thank God it was my shortest leg to run with 3.1 miles.
My 2nd leg was my favorite leg and I totally sprinted because I ran it around 12:30am, so it was nice and cold with approximately 60 degrees and I didn't have to deal with the heat I did from my first leg. The only thing I had to be cautious about where the snakes on the Ruby Valley Road but my team only saw one snake during these 2nd set of legs. The only thing I had to be cautious about were the snakes on the Ruby Valley Road but my team only saw one snake during these 2nd set of legs. It was a dark run but fortunately we had a full moon and when needed, I turned on my safety lights and head lamp to watch out for the snakes or road conditions. The area where I did my exchange after my 4.8-mile run had cookies, hot chocolate, brownies, and so many yummy treats. Definitely treated myself to at least 3 cookies since I was done with my leg - my teammates that were up next were a little jealous of us that were done but had theirs after they completed their legs.
Although my 3rd leg was my longest leg with 5.4 miles, it wasn't so bad - well except the ridiculous steep uphill I had to run for a quarter mile to the end of my leg. However, I conquered the heat by using a neck cooler, my teammates feeding me water after every other mile, as well as one of the other teams kindly soaking me with water. The support of teammates and other teams was remarkable - sportsmanship was evident in this relay.
So thankful for my teammates always showing up with the van every other mile with cold water for me to hydrate while I ran my legs. We were always equipped to give each other water and/or mist each other during the runs, especially the 2 hot legs on Friday and Saturday.
When you conquered your first relay, even better when you share a name with it - Ruby Mountain Relay 2017 was intense but so amazing! And let's acknowledge how beautiful the Ruby Mountains in the background are! The heat was intense and the terrains were challenging but having gorgeous views of the Rubies as I ran the past couple days made it so much better!

I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.
1 Corinthians 9:23

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment