Monday, May 23, 2016

Serve Hope and Share Kindness

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing well, to God be the glory. Last Friday (May 20), I served breakfast at So Others Might Eat (SOME), located in the District of Columbia. I have been volunteering at SOME since 2013. SOME is an interfaith, community-based organization that helps the poor and homeless of our nation's capital. SOME tries to meet the immediate daily needs of the people by providing food, clothing, and health care; they break the cycle of homelessness by offering services, such as affordable housing, job training, addiction treatment, and counseling, to the poor, the elderly and individuals with mental illness. Generous hands are blessed hands because they give bread to the poor. Proverbs 22:9 (MSG).
Since I've been volunteering at SOME for almost 4 years, it is always a pleasure to serve breakfast and lunch. SOME does such amazing work for so many in DC, and I am blessed to be a small fraction that could be a blessing either by serving meals, wrapping up Christmas gifts, or cleaning up the SOME shelter in these years as a volunteer. Usually I serve the meal and greet with a big smile as folks enter the dining room, but this time I decided to do something different by serving coffee. This was a blessing because I got to be able to interact a little more and hear a few stories. I thank God that He put me in a position whereby I could offer hope to someone on an early morning, which possibly set the pace for the rest of their day. Each person has a story and it is a blessing to listen to them or to encourage them as the Lord leads. As much as the folks express their gratitude to me for serving them, I am grateful for them that God could use me in some way to share love and kindness. One of the guys even prophesied into my life as I shared a little about my current employment status and said that God is already blessing me by serving them at SOME and that I should just trust God. What a blessing! As it is said in The Word, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Luke 10:27.
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done. Proverbs 19:17.

God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you gotten right with the Lord? Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste anymore time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment