Tuesday, November 15, 2016

ELECTION 2016 - Put Action to Your Voice

Hello my sisters and brothers in Christ!

I pray you and yours are doing well. I am doing good, thanks be to God. On Washington Post, I read an article titled "Hillary Clinton’s campaign was crippled by voters who stayed home." It detailed the poor turnout of voters in this year's election in contrast to past elections. When President Obama said "Don't boo, vote!" he was on to something. During this election season, I have seen so many folks become political commentators, activists, and sharing personal opinions... on social media. Folks, I am aware of the power of social media. However, Facebook statii and Instagram memes do not count as votes. Everyone is welcome to be active and vocal on social media but it's important to actually put action to the voice. I have observed that most of these social media political commentators were not or have never been part of political campaigns.
When I was in College Republicans at Virginia Tech, I watched fellow members volunteer in campaigns, knock on doors, make phone calls, attend conventions, etc.; the "old school" electioneering way still works. By the end of the election season, VTCR may be saddened by the result if a GOP candidate loses but at peace that they did their best to lobby folks to going to the polls. One of the reasons why I attend and/or volunteer for political events is because I want our political officials to be out of my television screen and social media pages and get to observe them in different environments. I can also better advocate for them when I have interacted with them in some way or another not just what they say in a speech or at a debate. I believe one of the teachable moments from this election season is: get involved, understand the difference between popular votes and our nation's electoral college process, and actually go out and vote! Folks need to start being proactive rather than reactive.
In a video I watched on Independent Journal Review, it shows ESPN Anchor Stephen A. Smith speaking out on 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's decision to not vote in this election. I am sure most of us are aware of the recent acts of Kaepernick choosing to kneel during the national anthem at his games as a way of protest. There was one time I opted out from voting because I thought my vote did not matter and would not count - I was wrong. In the 2014 gubernatorial elections, I chose not to request/mail my absentee ballot for my selection for Maryland's governor; rarely was I ever in Maryland during election time so absentee or early voting have been my option for years. Since the republican candidate was my clear choice for governor and Maryland is a deep blue state, I thought my vote won't count for that candidate (Larry Hogan). Guess what?! Hogan won - giving Maryland its 2nd republican governor in nearly 50 years. That was the moment I realized that voting matters, even if you see the chances of your candidate winning as very slim. On the other end, it showed how entitled to the votes of Marylanders the Democratic Party is that most of theirs chose not to vote for their candidate but Hogan supporters showed up in great numbers and determined for change in the blue crab state. Like I said earlier, folks need to not only be activists by mouth but also by their actions. I am sure there are many "Kaepernicks" out there who make lots of noise but did not register to vote or even know their current senators or mayor.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. James 1:22-25


God bless you.
Jesus loves you.


Restored woman living for God's Glory,
Ruby B. Johnson.


Have you given your heart to God? Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior? If you die today, will you make it to Heaven? If no or you are unsure, do not waste any more time and receive salvation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment